March 02, 2006

Look What The Cat Dragged In


I was lounging around on the couch watching CSI, surrounded by Girl Scout cookies and I kept hearing a strange noise. I assumed it was the cat, and then I saw this creature walking along, very calmly toward me on the living room floor, talons clicking with each step. Either it walked right in my open bedroom window, or the cat "helped" it in. So after holding it in my lap for the rest of the show, I finally put it back on the window ledge to set it free. The cat helped it again. So now he (she?) is perched up on my chest and has been for over an hour. I'm trying to research what kind it is. I want to put it back out, but the last time I did, Cowboy George was determined to eat him. It was easier to catch the bird again and bring him in to safety than to catch the cat and shut the window. What is it, does anyone recognize it? And why (I know I am retarded) is there a baby bird this early? I thought birds were born in spring. He has plenty of feathers, he isn't itty bitty. He's very calm and lets me pet him and stroke his head. I don't want him to die, but I think he will if I stick him back out the window. Awww, he just climbed up near my shoulder and is snuggling with me! Birds don't snuggle, what is this thing????

* * * Friday morning update. Last night, once I was able to get the cat back in the house, I put my new birdie friend back outside. My first waking thought was "Oh, I hope he's still alive!" (What a lie, my first thought was "I gotta pee!")

So I slung back the curtain, and there he was, perched on the sill again. He had hopped out of the homemade nest I built him. Oh, too good for my hand-selected cardboard box and the pillow case I lined it with? Hmmmm, I know, it's because I had also pulled off my shirt that I'd been wearing while holding you. It needed to be washed anyway, so I threw it in the box to keep you warm. Anyway, I'm thankful my little birdie buddy is stil alive. I held him on my lap this morning (mostly just to annoy Cowboy George) then put him back outside. So unless the neighborhood cats get him, he should be OK. I hope!

17 Comments:

Blogger Da Gal said...

ohmygawdIVY - is this prince charming? Did you kiss him? LOL I have no idea what it is other than cute and the story is funny. I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Lillee said...

Eeeek. I don't like birds, they give me the willies.
But, I do love your blog. It's beee-u-ti-ful. Thanks for visiting mine.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous IamMitch said...

Maybe it's being friendly because it's disease filled. I don't know why that would make it friendly but I just wanted to say that you don't know where it's been.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I think it is a Spruce Grouse....?

10:49 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Erm
Excuse my brass neck - I guess you still have your guest and that he/she will be hungry by the time you wake up - so I've emailed the guy that runs the Attwater Prairie Chicken Refuge (only place I could find in Texas that rescues grouse), to see if he can ID or advise.

Really really hope thats ok!

Copied you in.
x

12:58 AM  
Blogger Meow said...

Wow, Ivy, that is so cute. Don't know what it is, but who cares when it is so tame !!! Hope it doesn't leave too many deposits on your shoulder though !!! Keep us posted, and please let us know the outcome. Take care, Meow

2:39 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Mr. Birdie looks familiar, it's just not coming to me :-(

2:51 AM  
Blogger Linda and Denny said...

Possibly a nighthawk? They roost throughtout the day and feed at night.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous TSB said...

Honey, stop touching that thing....ya know "Bird Flu" and such. Be careful.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous cassie-b said...

How kind of you to care.

Cas

8:09 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

That's not natural behavior for a Fox Sparrow (which is what it appears to be). I'd be a little concerned that it might be ill.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh, how sweet that little fella is. My track record with birds and other wild creatures has not been good. I've killed baby birds and bunnies trying my best to help them live. It's a good think I'm not nearby. That poor bird wouldn't have a chance.

11:24 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I hope the little feller makes it. In the top photo,your cat (Cowboy George?) is thinking, "I bet it tastes like chicken."

12:12 PM  
Blogger birdchaser said...

The bird is not a Fox Sparrow (too big), but is some kind of game bird (but not a Spruce Grouse). Hard for me to tell exactly from the photo, but it isn't a native bird to the Dallas area, or even to North America. My guess is this is an exotic quail (Coturnix) that is either a pet or has escaped from somebody's bird collection. That's why it is so tame. So, if it is still alive you may want to post some signs in your neighborhood, as someone might be looking for the bird. You can probably keep it somewhere where the cat won't get it and feed it chicken feed (or maybe even birdseed). Good luck!

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Just pop it in the microwave for a tasty snack.

Trust me.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

If we're lucky, maybe it'll eat your cat. :)

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! That Quail is so cute! Did you ever see it again?

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home