February 02, 2006

I love so many kinds of music that I can't really say what genre I like. So I've been listening to this "Launchcast" thingy from yahoo - it lets me create my own "station" of what I like.

I could only think of a few artists to include on my playlist when I first signed up. Based on my selections, Launchcast tries to guess what other music I would like. For the record (ha ha, a musical pun... if you're old enough to remember what a record is) just because I like a particular song doesn't mean I will like everything that artist puts out.

When they play a song, I can click on any one of these, to rate it:

  • never play again
  • it's ok
  • like it
  • love it
  • can't get enough

Oh gosh. I realized (again) how really retarded I am. I hate to click on the "never play again" or the "it's ok" because I might hurt its feelings. Whose feelings? It's all about me, it's MY STATION! That's what they call it: MY STATION.

It's like how when I go to the grocery store and pick up an apple to inspect. Then I find it has a bruise, or an imperfection, and I feel horrible laying it back down in the bin. I can just hear it's little apple voice saying, what's wrong with ME? Why don't you like ME? Oh, because I'm not shiny and perfect and wonderful like the other apples!

Oh, but we were talking music weren't we? Browsing around at some of the other stations Launchcast has to offer, I finally found the perfect one for me: RANDOM RADIO. Yep, suits me just fine! I just have to get over the anguish of passing over some songs.

13 Comments:

Blogger Karlos said...

I know what you mean about the fruit. Growing up, my mom treasured every little piece of tasty fruit; nowadays, I catch myself feeling sad for the fruit that doesn't make it out of the fruit bowl in time.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, the fruit I can go along with at a stretch, but the songs might be offended is a bit too far over the top, even for you.

2:34 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ivy - I have actually made several CD's that I actually call RANDOM SONGS. Of course they were all made from CD's I liked well enough to buy in the first place, so there are NO rotten apples there for me! ~ jb///

4:03 AM  
Blogger jules said...

Random radio sounds perfect for you, sis. It probably changes topics as quickly and as often as you do!

4:07 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I bet it's extremely difficult for you to pick out a puppy without taking the whole litter. lol

6:45 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

As a child I had lots of pets, and at the pet shop I always chose the skinniest/smallest/weakest animal. I understand your dilemma ;o)

10:23 AM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I just today discovered Pandora.com
You just enter an aartist you like and it creates a station from that!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Raggedy said...

Hi! FTS sent me. I never knew fruit had feelings. Oh those poor bannanas I ripped off and left because they were bruised or browning. And all the apples I picked up and put in the back so others wouldn't pick them first. How will I fruit shop again. *laughing That was a good post. Thanks

1:35 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I kept wondering who my fruit & veggies were talking about. I overheard them whispering late one night about some bi*ch in Texas who thinks she's too good for them. "She balks at a tiny bruise and turns her face away at the slightest imperfection. Who does she think she is?"
You better watch your back when you're in the produce section from now on.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Krisco said...

I SO RELATE.

I do the same exact thing. And the apple has the same little apple-rejected (or not, because the guilt makes me take it home) voice.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Brianne said...

I love my Launchcast. It's my new favorite thing to mess with while I should be doing homework.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

You really need to get off of those drugs, LOL. Just kidding.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I guess the bad think about clicking "never play again" is, what if you change your mind one day? What if it's a song that, with a few more listens, might really grow on you? I'd never choose that option either.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home