February 14, 2006

Growing Up Ivy - Part 3 (Special Valentine's Edition)

When I started the 5th grade, school had already been in session for a few days. All the desks in the classroom were arranged like a big square around the room with everyone facing the center. I was assigned a chair and introduced to the class. Straight across from me sat a very cute boy who leaned over and whispered to the person next to him. That person leaned over and whispered to the next, and so on until I got this message: "Will you go with me (from Jay)?" I asked the person next to me: "Go where?" He looked at me as if I might be a little on the slow side (a look I have seen quite often in my lifetime and is easily recognizable after awhile) and he said, "go steady with him!" So I pretended to know what that meant and said OK. Word traveled back around to the dreamy Jay, who then passed a ring around the room for me. (I only had to glue the stone back in it once in our three-day relationship) The only time that I talked to Jay in this sudden romance was when we went on a field trip. He used my back to put his paper on to write notes, and I used his. Other than that, I never spoke to the guy. Keep in mind that a couple of short months later there would be snow on the ground and I would be crawling around on my hands and knees with my best friend saying "meow" and pawing at each other playing like we were kitties. I might have been a bit too immature for a steady boyfriend. I received the message one day on the playground from Sheri that Jay wanted his ring back (oh, did his big sister miss it from her jewelry box finally?) "Why?" I asked. "Because he's breaking up with you." "Oh. OK, here." Later I got the nerve to ask Sheri why Jay broke up with me. "Because you never kissed him." Oh. I didn't know I was supposed to.

19 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, hey you were a pretty well turned on 5th grader weren't you? that Jay sure wasn't much help in teaching you the rules of romance though.
Betcha you've come a-ways since then.

5:31 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Ah - the unrealistic expectations of the 5th grader, only exceeded (from my experience) by their inability to know which end is up. :) ec

6:11 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

LOL - cute story, Ivy. Happy Valentine's Day to you.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous kristy said...

Maybe HE should have kissed YOU. Eh? Seemed like a take-charge kinda boy at first, but then petered right out. A story as old as time.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Cute story Ivy! Brings back some fun memories. I remember the nerves I used to get asking girls to "go with me." Thanks for sharing!

2:42 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Sounds like Jay wanted to move pretty fast for five-year olds. He could have taken the initiative.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Herb said...

Life's hard and fast in the fifth grade...

3:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Aw, I like the image of you being a kitty. Too cute.

4:34 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Awww...Ivy, I am loving this! Isn't young love the sweetest thing? I had a boyfriend in the fourth grade named Bruce. The only time we talked to each other was during square dance class (yeah, they had them back then!) at school. We were an item yet that was the only time we were ever seen together...thanks for the memory!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very cute story Ivy honey!

7:09 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I was always jealous of the ones who got rings. Gah.

10:19 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Ha, I waited until the SIXTH grade before going steady (for 3 weeks, kissless).

11:19 AM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

That is so weird..I had a boyfriend named Jay in the 5th grade too...

Oops.

12:52 AM  
Blogger No_Newz said...

Cute story. I hope that Jay kid grew up and learned that sometimes a guy needs to talk to his lady. ;)
Lois Lane

11:02 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

I love reading your stories - thank you for sharing!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Great Story! Good job!

Say, did you know that the creator of Betty Boop recently passed away? Myron Waldman on Feb 4. He was age 97.

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Penny said...

Hmmm, sounds like a relationship I had with a guy just a few years ago! Now I know why he broke up with me.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

The innocence of very young semi-love. Who knew what to do back then??? The NERVE of him wanting to kiss!!! Yuck!

2:21 PM  
Blogger June Cleaver's Revenge said...

Hey, I married that guy!

5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home