February 10, 2006

Growing Up Ivy - Part 1

I am stealing ideas. I got the above title a long time ago from FTS . He suggested it to me for something - I can't remember what - but I liked the title and it got stuck in the back of my mind (and also in my draft posts). I just didn't know what to do with it until today.

I got another idea from
Carlos, who posts a "Memory Du Jour" below many of his entries. Since I haven't felt much like writing lately, I'm just going to relate a childhood memory each day until I get out of this funk. Only I'm going to cleverly disguise mine with a slightly different title so I won't be a complete copycat.

No guarantee that anything I remember will be hilarious, or even funny. Especially no guarantee that there will be a point to the story. I'm just recording random childhood memories, that's all.

Today's "Memory of the Day":

We lived in Bossier City, Louisiana. I think I was in the second grade, which would have made my baby brother about 4 years old. Granny and Grandpa let us ride in the back of their camper up to the department store with them. Leaving the Gibson's parking lot, I pointed out the back of the camper, and said to my brother, "Hey, isn't that mom and dad?" I knew full well that I was tricking him, but had no idea what the consequences would be. He ran for the back door to look out at the same time that Grandpa stepped on the gas and pulled the truck out onto the road. Little brother hit the door handle, kind of like a storm door that you just push the latch, and the door flew open. Mikey fell out onto the pavement as Granny and Grandpa drove on unaware. I banged on the window between us, but there were really TWO windows. That of the camper, and the one to the back of the pickup. Apparently they could hear me, because Granny turned around with an evil glare and told me to shut up and sit down. I read her lips. Oh yeah, and her arm pointing at me violently indicating that I should sit.

But someone managed to get their attention (I guess some other driver) because they pulled back in to the Gibson's parking lot to collect my baby brother from the ground, shrieking and wailing.

We took him home for mom to clean him up, and it turned out that he had two busted lips with little bits of gravel embedded in them. I remember that what amazed me the most was that even though his jaw trembled with the crying and sobbing, every now and then he would chomp a bit more on the chewing-gum that had managed to stay in his mouth.

15 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, now there's an embarrassing moment, and you fessed up to it, ya gotta love that chewy.

WV;; aahwtf, true!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ivy ~ So does your brother TALK to you now? Sounds like something from the Griswald's "Vacation" movie! I hope you didn't leave your Aunt in Phoenix! ~ jb///

8:18 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

It is a wonder that most of us survived childhood, with all the unsafe things we did. We did survive didn't we? ec

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Oh, that poor little guy. You did a BAD thing! I'm sure your butthole puckered good and tight when you saw him fall out the back.
That gum was his comfort.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Poor little lad! So glad he was alright, but I'm sure I'm not supposed to be giggling ;o)

3:38 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Growing up Ivy. I like it. :-)

I had a close call once when I was 5 or 6 in a 1967 Impala. Mom turned the corner and I almost fell out the door, complete wtih my big ol' teddy bear. Mom grabbed me though and saved me from something painful or life-ending.

3:56 AM  
Blogger jules said...

I TOLD you guys she was EVIL!!!!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Ed Bremson said...

Just stopped by, enjoyed your blog. Good luck.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey sweetie, great story. Maybe notsomuch for your brother, but still a good story. I too love the title. Just keep being you, that is why we all flock here you know, not just because you are funny. Have a wonderful weekend.

9:17 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

This woulda been a lot better if you had left him in the parking lot and see if -- like some famous dogs and cats -- he could find his way home. Tell it that way next time, because I wanna know if he could.

10:02 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

Did you leave out something? Like the part where you *helped* unlatch the door? Or the part where you planted your foor in his gluteus maximus to *help* him out?

Remind me not to turn my back on you. ;)

3:08 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Rotten grandparents. I bet your Mom and Dad never trusted you and your brother to their care again.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

Well, I am sure that gave him something to talk about to the therapist later in his life...

5:44 PM  
Blogger se7en said...

At least he lived to tell about it! LOL Funny story though, I'm glad he was OK!

8)

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Penny said...

Did he ever tell WHY he fell out?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home