January 30, 2006

Fox's Skating With Celebrities

OMG! Why didn't anybody tell me there was a reality show on called "Skating With Celebrities"? I have never seen any of the reality shows like American Idol, or Big Brother, or Bachelor. I did watch two episodes (episodes, not seasons) of Survivor, but that was only because a couple of years ago some people at work said I should be on it. (Don't laugh, I used to be lean and mean. Really.)

But skating, I LOVE! Like FTS likes baseball. This show is so great, in my opinion, because I know how hard it is to ice skate. I never managed, in all the years I've tried it to do more than stay on my feet and skate forward. And never with any grace, or style. It is tough, it really is. And I admire someone who can do something that I find so challenging, and make it look so easy. Well, that's what the professionals do, anyway. But these are celebrities paired with a professional, and they are learning. I also think skating can be very dangerous, and I cringe sometimes with the lifts and the way the men toss their partners around.

I've challenged myself physically in the past with things like the
marathon I did the year I turned 40; the Hotter'N Hell , which is a 100-mile bike ride in Wichita Falls that takes place in August; and the MS150, a 2-day charity event which was a 150-mile bike ride crossing the Red River up to Oklahoma. That one was done in bone-chilling rain and strong headwinds. But see, these were just endurance tests. They involved no talent on my part. No style, just stay upright either on my feet or on my bicycle and keep going.

So maybe you're a fan of reality shows, or maybe you think they're hokey. This is one I'll watch again. Plus I got to see cool 70's celebs like Bruce Jenner and Dorothy Hamil. Dorothy is one of the judges, and I had her famous haircut in 1976. Yeah, I'm cool like that.

I'm not getting all caught up in whether the judges are fair, or snarky, or which team deserves to win. I'm just fascinated at watching these people try, and train so hard to compete in something when they obviously haven't spent their life on the ice like the professionals.

26 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

I know I'm outnumbered, but I simply love reality shows. I don't watch all of them, but a few peak my interest. Ice skating, man, I'd love to learn the sport but I'm sure I'd fall flat on my arse. ;o)

8:24 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You are amazing! A marathon. A 150 mile bike ride.
Wow!!
I love to watch ice skating. We took the kids to see several Stars on Ice shows when they were little. We had such a blast!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Meow said...

I'm a reality show watcher, I confess (don't hate me !!!). Ice skating is great fun ... when I was younger (heaps younger) I used to go every saturday afternoon to the local iceskating rink. It was fabulous fun.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fabulous said...

To be honest, shouldn't it be Skating with Former Celebrities?

12:47 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

Hats off to them! (I've been ice skating three times, knocked myself out twice ;o))

2:11 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, you really are a barrel of surprises aren't you, what with all your sporting events your motor bike and now ice skating, is there no end.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

My family loves that show. (go Jillian & John!) My oldest daughter use to skate, but then broke her foot, and that was the end of her skatign career.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Krisco said...

I have never even heard of it! One of upsides - downsides of Tivoing only old Jerrys.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Huw said...

It's good to see that they have taken a similarly loose approach to the term 'celebrity' as the British version did.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Penny said...

I'm one of those Survivor addicts. And American Idol. Haven't had a chance to catch the ice skating yet, though, as the remote seems to be glued to someone else's hand. Thank goodness for DVR...as soon as we get into the house, anyway!

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

Oh, ice skating is most definitely dangerous!! I barely escaped a concussion after conking my head the last time I went. But I LOVE watching it on TV too! Haven't seen the Skating With the Stars though. My reality shows are American Idol and Project Runway. And Amazing Race when it starts again.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Sirs_Girl said...

Holy s**t, you bike ride in August?! I'm impressed! I won't even trek the twenty feet to the bathroom if it's over 75 degrees.

8:32 PM  
Blogger se7en said...

I love to ice skate myownself and I'm born and raised in New Orleans and as far as I know there isn't an ice rink within 200 miles!

I love laughing at Americas Funniest Ballroom Dancers aka Dancing with the Stars! LOL

=)

9:45 PM  
Blogger Le laquet said...

We have this celebrity ice-skating show in the UK .... it's riveting! Desperately waiting for the falls!

10:35 PM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

I so love reality TV (well a lot of it, anyway... Sick of stuff like The Bachelor that's just become overdone and seems like the same crap every time)...

And I so had the Dorothy Hamil when I was a kid... I was so proud of it too! :)

12:27 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I saw some of the promos for ICE SKATING WITH THE STARS and they always made me grimace (they only showed clips of bad lifts and hard falls). The OUCH factor was too much for me, so I've never tuned in. I was too worried that I'd have to witness someone actually get hurt or something.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Faith said...

I've seen snippets of the show. I watch Stacey Keebler on WWE on Monday nights. That girl's all legs!

Btw, how on earth did you get that gorgeous background up on your blogger?

10:39 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

I watch the Americal Idol auditions, 'cause they're trashy/funny. Burned out on most of the rest, but Husband still likes Survivor, so we'll be watching it when the new season starts tonight.

Happy Groundhog Day!
I found a hilarious groundhog picture!


(Sorry for the blatant plug - I'm having a really hard time getting readers back after the original blog died)

I hope something wonderful ‘pops up’ for you today! LOL

11:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm not usually a big consumer of reality shows either, but I felt much the same way last year about that dancing show (not the "with celebrities" show--the other one). I've always wanted to be able to ballroom dance and make it look effortless, so I guess it was a vicarious thrill watching someone else do it.
I've been reading some of your past entries and laughing so loud that my cat shot out of the room with her ears laid back. How did I find your blog?? I have no idea, but I'm glad I did.

1:39 PM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Ivy - I admire anyone who can complete a marathon! I used to do a lot of 10K's, but my knees started giving out at just about five miles, so I gave them up. Now I feel lucky to get my 20 minutes on my treadmill everyday! I watched "Skating With The Stars" and was really impressed with how well those non-pros actually did! ~ jb///

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Todays the last day to apply if you want to be a castmember on the next Survivor! You can get an application at this site:

http://www.exileislandsurvivor.com/survivorpanama/survivornews.html

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bizarre Secret Confesson Warning, these cofessions will shock you. Very disturbing Stuff. If you have something on your heart or something weighing on your soul then I saw this site and you should go over there anc confess. No one has to know it is you. It is private. I at your secret confession and I really felt a lot better afterward. You can confess ALL at http://www.yoursecretconfession.com/forum

5:36 PM  
Anonymous alaska teacher placement said...

A fantastic blog yours. Keep it up.
If you have a moment, please visit my alaska teacher placement site.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Paul Hill said...

Alright, you have a good blog going on, keep up the good work.

Check out mine if you want at:
http://blog.myspace.com/paulhilluk

6:27 PM  
Anonymous warming pet beds said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my warming pet beds site.
Have a great week!

7:44 PM  
Blogger blogme said...

What are you looking for today?

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home