December 09, 2005

What If ???

What if you've never met me?

What if you boarded my bus in Dallas, and someone pointed to me and said, "That's Ivy! You know... From Thoughts That Keep Me Awake!"? (pretend like I'm famous, or somethin' will you, please?)

What if you said, "Oh, she's not so bad! Actually she's very poised, elegant, sophisticated, and beautiful!" ?

What if the person pointing me out then said, "No, Dorkwad! The one behind that woman. The one with her head bobbing up and down like the fake puppy in the rear window of a car. The one that's drooling AND snoring." ?

Well, anyway, that's not likely to happen (well, the snoring is) cuz I don't think anyone on my bus knows my secret identity. But this morning as I was commuting to work, I looked at the guy sitting in front of me... and this thought occurred to me: "What if I read his blog?"

Which then started a chain of "What If"s in my mind. Which of course I had to put in writing, or else I won't be able to sleep tonight.

I thought of all the people I might look at and make a quick (and possibly wrong) judgment based on their appearance - good, or bad - This thought process started first thing this morning. And I did something a little different today... I pretended every person I ran into was a blogger friend. I looked at a man on the elevator, and thought "That could be
Hoss", so I smiled and said hello. Then I continued to do that all day, thinking of many of you. I don't know if it made YOU people feel any better, but it did me. :)

I would start naming more names here, of who I pretended to run into today... but then it would be like the slumber party post and I'd leave people out by accident. So just know that it was YOU. Yes, YOU that I was glad to see today.

23 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

WooHooo first to comment, Hivy I'm so pleased you picked me out, I get all wimpy if I'm neglected. sounds like a fun game but I'm not gonna start catching busses just to play.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

I'm the other way and check my site meter to make sure no-one I could ever bump into reads my waffle! I don't share most of my thoughts and feelings with the people around me - though, slowly I am learning it isn't so bad.

And having said that, there are a few of you whom I would love to meet and share a hot chocolate with :o)

3:29 AM  
Anonymous TSB said...

Hey thanks for saying hi to me through the stall in the bathroom...I heard you too :)

6:20 AM  
Blogger Amandarama said...

Yeah, I'm with jona! I get paranoid that someone I know "out in the world" is going to read mine and so I compulsively check my statcounter :)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I THOUGHT that was you saying hi to me!!! :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

Too bad more people aren't that friendly. It would make the world a nicer place.

7:11 AM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

Hey, what a great idea!
All my blog-friends have a face in my mind, even those without pictures.

And of course they're all really hot. :)

I've wondered sometimes what I'd do if someone walked up to me and said, "HEY MONTY! It's me, _____!"

Pretty cool. Hasn't happened yet, but where there's life, there's hope. ;)

7:24 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Psstt..that poised and elegant lady in front of you on the bus? Umm hmm. You're right. It wasn't me!

7:32 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

If the man wasn't old and bald with a big silly grin on his face, it wasn't me. Also you would have had to have been in South Carolina - plus they don't let me out much. :) ec

7:45 AM  
Blogger bubba said...

well Howdy back. You saw my picture so it would be easy to say Howdy to me at this time of the year. You just might get a special " Merry Christmas and HO HO HO" back from me.

8:41 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

Maybe we should all get a pin with a little "iB" (for "iBlog")emblazoned on it. Then people who were cool like us would know they'd met another blogger. If anyone asked what it meant then we'd know they don't blog and were fair game for post fodder.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Sirs_Girl said...

I was glad to see you today as well. And I still can't believe you wouldn't let me drink at the slumber party. :P And congrats on being able to quit smoking years ago. It must've been really hard. (See? I'm not that mean about smoking. I do realize it's hard. :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

This is a great idea! We should all be so friendly as you are.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Ms. Vickie said...

Hello Ivy, I did not know that was you who spoke to me this morning. I have heard so much about you and wanted to meet you. Glad you opened the door for me. You have a great blog here and I will be back. I see we read some of the same or at least some of the same are commenting here anyway. Again, thanks for being so friendly this morning.

3:23 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

If that guy smelled of frankincense, myrrh and cajun, it was INDEED me. I was looking for Jules.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I was the lady in the hallway that you passed by. I was wearing a poodle skirt and a diamond studded bra with no top on over it. My hair was hot pink with green highlights. Did you see me?

5:20 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

I WAS THE ELEGANT LADY ON THE BUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course I lost some of my allure when I started talking to the "invisible people" in my handbag!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I sometimes wonder whether people I know in the "real" world are bloggers. If you are in the Houston area, one of the people you see could be me. I'll let you know if I will be in the Dallas area, so you will know that one of the people you see could be me, again.

4:44 AM  
Blogger se7en said...

I'm now going to ask every woman I see if their name is Ivy the blogger, just in case! I don't wanna be caught unawares! hehe


8)

6:04 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Most of the blogs I read are written by people who live less than 200 miles away from where I live. It just happened. I don't know how....

4:36 PM  
Blogger Sudiegirl said...

You'd know if you saw me...I'm the one with drool running down one side of my face, twitching and looking for the next pint of Chubby Hubby ice cream.

Sudiegirl the oh-so-obvious!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Penny said...

I knew that was you! I mixed your margarita Saturday night! (how was it, by the way? I put an extra shot in it for ya!).

FTS has a great idea... we could all wear iBlog buttons. Maybe little earrings! Or tie tacks!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

You know what? I've fantasized the exact same idea.

BTW: I rode the express from Carrollton to Downtown Dallas (the Bank of America--the tall green-lights building). Loved it. But that was before blogging.

Then I moved to Pancake Flats...

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home