December 07, 2005

Switching Lanes, Sudden Stops, Illegal U-Turns (Basically Just Reckless Blogging)

I've been teased about randomly jumping from one subject to the next by a certain fellow blogger... you know his kind: The writers who form complete sentences and follow a train of thought to a logical conclusion. Yeah, that type. They put up a post that makes sense and everything ties in together and is extremely well written. Yeah, well... just as many of you can relate to my sudden (and sometimes unexplained) leaps and zigzags from one paragraph to the other. Besides, I've been encouraged by several of you to embrace my inner goober. And she doesn't always signal before changing lanes.

Hey, I wasn't always a big goober. I used to be a little bitty goober. (See my profile picture to the left?) I realize that the photograph displayed now is about 40 years old, but I don't look much like the picture I just took down, either. I often had that pout on my face back then. My dad always told me to pull in my bottom lip before I tripped over it. That was probably around the age when I started to call the turn signal in dad's car: "Tinker". I always begged him to "Turn on the tinker!" Even if we weren't turning. I just liked it because of the sound it made. Do tinkers not make that sound anymore, or is it only pleasing to a child's ear? Hmmm... I wonder.

(OK, now here comes the part where I suddenly swerve to another lane. To save the trouble of having to always post this particular warning, or come up with a good segue... I will from now on signal in the following manner:)

tinker, tinker, tinker, tinker...

Even though I probably shouldn't, I sometimes give rides to strangers, and have for years. I'm betting Lois can relate. It's just that I’m trying to repay all the kindness that has been shown to me when I've been stranded. One time I needed a ride because my car slid on ice and went into the ditch. Another time I was helpless because my car broke down on the highway. But what left me stranded more than anything, was my annoying habit of not refueling the gas tank in my car often enough. As a teenager, I used to run out of gas so often that my boss accused me of trying to wean my car. In my early twenties I had a very fuel-efficient car that would go forever once the low-fuel warning light began to glow. One day the car inexplicably stopped. I insisted that it couldn't be out of gas because the low fuel indicator light hadn't even come on yet! FYI, the bulb behind that light will only last so long.

tinker, tinker, tinker, tinker...

Recently I noticed a guy on the bus trying to get the driver to let him off at an intersection. This is a non-stop express route, and the man was told he would have to wait until we reached the park & ride to leave the bus. Knowing that I would pass that same corner on my way home, and that it was pretty far to walk, I offered the man a ride. When he got in my car he thanked me profusely and told me that the last time he had taken that bus he had asked several people for a ride and even offered money. He said folks were rushing to their cars, slamming and locking their doors like he was a lunatic. I told him he didn't look so scary to me. I asked him how his day had been and he said not so great because the doctor he was seeing at the drug rehab downtown threw him out of his office until he could learn to control his anger. Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

tinker, tinker, tinker, tinker...

My daughter keeps watching the news hoping her school will be closed tomorrow. Can I just say that I am going to laugh my head off if it's not?

27 Comments:

Blogger bubba said...

Sure laugh away.

9:41 PM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

HeeHee... Ya crackin me up :)

Hey, what's the fun in staying on one subject??! Boooooo-ring! ;)

1:29 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

Your posts are more real than most as my mind wanders all over the place, and I'm reassured that I'm not alone in this quirkiness when I visit you!

Don’t change a thing, we love you as you are :o)

2:25 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Nice touch (the "tinker")! I don't think they have true tinkers in cars any more.

They just kinda emit a weak click, which might explain why some people drive with their tinkers on. Those who don't use tinkers are probably, like you, nostalgic for the old school tinkers and are boycotting the new fangled ones until manufacturers get the picture. ;-)

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Tinkerbell said...

Hivy, I meant to comment on how young you were looking.
tinker, tinker, tinker...
I cured myself of running out of fuel by buying a diesel powered car, you DON"T want to run out of fuel then, it's a major operation to restart.
tinker, tinker, tinker...
Offering rides to anger students is not a good plan.
I have successfuly used only 3 tinkers at a great saving over your four!!

3:46 AM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

My husband says that I'm a "skid talker." He means by that, that I change the subject without notice and he gets confused. Not my problem that he can't keep up.

I love your new devise of tinkering! Wish I'd thought of it.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I love the "tinker", you may need to patent that, I can see the idea getting popular!

You may want to ask the prospective rider if they have anger management issues or a rap sheet before they get in the car... just a thought. :)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Don't change a thing Ivy! Love the tinker idea, but is it scary that I can keep up without notice of changing lanes? HA!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ivy-oh,

Honey...you forget I'm bipolar.

I can switch subjects very easily if I skip my medication. Of course, I do other, more anti-social things as well that we needn't discuss at this time.

Sudiegirl

9:02 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Gah...If you stopped rambling I wouldn't know how to take you! I love your style, and I love the tinker. Thanks for the warning ;)

11:01 AM  
Blogger No_Newz said...

Nothing like a hitch-hiker with anger management issues. LOL! I'm glad he didn't take his anger out on you. :)
You reminded me of another one I picked up. (starts scribbling blog notes) I'll have to post about that soon. Thank you for reading about my nephew who pooped in the jaccuzzi. I never know if anyone will take the time to read those flashback links of mine. I'm glad you liked it.
Lois Lane

11:52 AM  
Blogger Huw said...

I was once told by someone to put my bottom lip before he "laid a table on it".

I once gave a lift to a man brandishing a gun. He was a soldier though, and my inner sad-bloke wanted in on the machismo.

1:02 PM  
Blogger mreddie said...

I too would encourage you to embrace your inner goober - hear the goober, see the goober, be the goober. Too many of us will never accomplish the feat of being the goober we were meant to be. I'm a bit nutty myself at times.

The jumping from one thing to another could be called multi-digressional and just happens to be my writing style. This works out OK for me until I forget what I was writing about to begin with and can't re-digress. Enjoyed the read, keep on keepin' on. ec

1:10 PM  
Blogger bubba said...

Ya might wanna turn off your tinker before you run out of tinker juice.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Dante said...

pfft. writing something consistent is for the birds. or rather, the non add-afflicted birds.

write whatever you wish on your blog. i hardly ever make one coherent post that has a single theme to it. mine wander all over the place.

and that's how i rescued daisy the super fish from the clutches of the evil doctor shakes mccannery.

2:15 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

Dare we ask if you were missing any particular undergarments when you slid into the ditch or ran out of gas? :p

3:05 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yeah FTS, we dare ask and Ivy being Ivy we will be told too.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You are such a tinker!
Who needs neat, tidy, little posts? We goobers don't!
Tinker away!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

I just think of the meandering topics as mental multi-tasking. It works for me!
tinker tinker-
My son was lamenting the fact that in all his years in school...he has never had a "snowday" Guess
the white stuff would have to be about 3 ft high before they would cancel school up here in tundraland.
tinker-tinker-tinker
Just read the slumber party post. Did anyone snore? Because I have been freakishly tired all week and I would like to find someone to blame :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Don't tinker with anything. You are doing loverly.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Müzikdüde said...

Can you spell ADHD?

10:19 PM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

My daughter did the same thing...and I DID laugh. :)

You're so kind to offer rides...my biggest weakness is the older folk when I see them walking in extreme heat or cold especially...of course, to them evidently I look scary because they don't always take a ride.
*sigh*
I've seriously got to stop frowning all the time.

7:01 AM  
Blogger jay are said...

tinker tinker tinker!

That's great!! I love it.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I love the tinkering! And snow days? What's that????

9:52 AM  
Blogger Whistler71 said...

Your pic is sooo cute!! I laugh at my kids when they get bummed about those days they thought they might get to spend at home in my hair also!!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Bunny ~N~ Early said...

Could I get a ride?
Gas is getting expensive. If that doesn't work for you, I'll take a check.

10:20 PM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

Isn't that how everyone's mind works? You mean I'm weird? Not that it hasn't been mentioned before...

The cars do not make the same tinker, tinker, tinker sound they did when we were kids. I miss that sound.

But no, I don't share your love of new plastic or petroleum products, although I know people who do. The smell of gas kind of makes me sick and the smell of diesel literally gags me.

Be careful offering those rides, Ivy. There are some wackos out there.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home