December 05, 2005

Make Up Your Own Title, People, cuz I Can't Think of One...Smell Ya Later, Alligator!

Yesterday I mentioned the fact that I loved the smell of my brand new shower curtain. Some of you could totally relate. Others of you reveled in the correctness of your theory that I am nuts. (Duh, people, thus the nickname: Goooooberrrrr!) Anyway, that got me to thinking about what I think smells good. Sure, I like the smells of flowers, coffee, and fresh-baked cookies. (Not necessarily at the same time...) But what about the oddball stuff? Or what some people would consider oddball?

I have this friend from Montreal who is one of the coolest people I've ever met. She's the friend I mentioned in a previous post that defended me from the mugger when I was walking around gaping at Times Square in New York City like a ... well, yeah...like a tourist. I will call this friend "Marvelous Montreal" (cuz if I use her real name, she might knock the snot outta me) or how about just MM for short? If you've read my blog long enough, this is the same chick that snatched a bothersome fly out of the air mid-conversation. Awesome, eh? Well a few months ago MM and I had a conversation. Went something like this:

Ivy: "I told BD that I love the smell of lighter fluid. He said, 'That explains a lot.' Then I told him that I also love the smell of gasoline."
MM: "Oh, I love the smell of gasoline, too"
Ivy: "But only regular gas, you can't get that anymore. It's not the same as regular unleaded. I'm talking about real regular gas like when I was a kid. And I used to love it when my grandpa would let me light his cigar, cuz then I got to sniff the lighter."

MM: "We used to sniff the LaPage glue. It was wonderful." (help me out my new Canadian buddies, if I'm spelling that wrong)

Ivy: "Oh good, so I'm not the only strange one out there."

MM: "Also used to lick the salt-blocks they had out in the fields for the cows."
Ivy: "No Way! You did NOT lick a salt block, MM!"

MM: "Sure did. Everybody tried it at least once. The blue ones were the best."
Ivy: "I just fell out of my chair laughing. I do NOT believe you licked a salt block, MM! Did you pick it up to taste it, or bend down and lick it on the ground?"
MM:
"Oh, bent down. Just like Old Bossy did. I'm sure after she just finished licking her backside."

So then I called my husband - who had spent every summer growing up on his aunt's farm - to see if he had ever licked a salt block. And he had.

Ivy: "Hey, MM! He did! He did lick the saltblock!"
MM:
"Good man."


P.S. I can understand why Blogger spell-check wouldn't recognize words like: "cuz" and "outta", but why the heck would it not recognize the word: SNOT????


27 Comments:

Blogger Lightning Bug's Butt said...

I used to LOVE the smell of gas when I was a kid.

And I used to suck on match tips, too. Sulfur.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

How about Scent-sations for a title?

Gas....I'm so glad I'm not the only whacko out there who liked the smell of that ol' regular stuff. I wonder what the benzene's gonna do to me long-term.

I'd heard of people licking salt blocks before....but never knew anyone to admit it.

Unleash the big-hair pics you mentioned on my blog ;-)

2:35 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, "smellorama" for a title, I know you also love the smell of fresh cut grass, I've got mountains of that at present, and there is a Nestles factory, where they make International Roast coffee, about half a mile away, when they are processing and the breeze is from the North my house is invaded by a heavenly aroma.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

Though my sense of smell is poor, I'm with you on the petrol smell :o) Other likes include cedar wood (when you open a chest of drawers), bonfires, Collinge shampoo, and (totally corny) freshly cut grass.

4:56 AM  
Anonymous Tamara said...

Me? The oddball scent I like is the smell wafting from the open door of a dry-cleaning establishment. A real place, where you can see the workers through the windows. The funny part is, I just found out my neighbor also loves that smell. How? We were out for a walk together and we both stopped short in front of the 'hoods establishment, took a deep breath, and smiled.

5:04 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Well honey..I've spent all my life on a farm and ain't EVER licked a salt lick. Bwahahahaha! I love gas, and lighter fluid. And wet dirt.

5:42 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

Well honey..I've spent all my life on a farm and ain't EVER licked a salt lick. Bwahahahaha! I love gas, and lighter fluid. And wet dirt.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Funny story, and MM sounds like a great buddy!

FYI: You might find it interesting that studies show that people who are attracted to strong, chemically smells are more prone to addictions. No one knows just why there's a correlation, though. I know this from years of counseling, but also have a family member that craves strong chemical smells and has always fought drug addictions.

I'm not saying that you are an addict, by any means. I'm just saying studies show that most people who are attracted to those smells also have a tendency toward addiction.

Your trivia for the day! ;o)

6:16 AM  
Blogger bubba said...

My most favorite smell is morning in the mountians. My wierdo smell is money. I use to have to count the safe and all the tills. I could open that safe and stand there smiling.

6:27 AM  
Blogger bubba said...

My most favorite smell is morning in the mountians. My wierdo smell is money. I use to have to count the safe and all the tills. I could open that safe and stand there smiling.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Yes, you are so right about the gas of today and yesteryear. I loved the old stuff too. And also a lit match. Not necessarily at the same time. BOOM!

11:28 AM  
Blogger No_Newz said...

I'm on a farm a lot of the times and never had oral sexual relations with no salt lick. Or anything else for that matter! I love the smell of coffee and popcorn popping, bacon frying and shower curtains that smell like my brand new dolly. ;)
Lois Lane

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Penny said...

Hmmmm, can't say I really like the smell of a shower curtain ... but I HAVE licked a salt-lick before!

Also used to eat the oats.
:)

11:58 AM  
Blogger oopseedaisee said...

HI, here by way of Theater of the Absurd. Love your Aurora Borealis background! Hope your "Situation" resolves itself soon. Ive had my sister living with me since she was injured in July. We are having fun spending so much time together. But I know she must feel like she needs her own space again. Its crowded here but, theres enough love to go around. As I am sure there is at your sisters.
Susan

12:23 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

After reading this, I think I am on serious information overload. Of course, the sniffing of flammables may explain the rambling...

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

Hmmm, I love lots of scents, but I can't think of any really weird ones off the top of my head. If any come to me, I'll be back to report.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I always liked the gas smell too. Lighter fluid, on the other hand, is horrible smelling stuff. ECK!
I love the smell of barns and saddle leather, the hay, horses, etc. I love to smell any yummy food baking.

Grew up on a farm and yes I have tasted the salt, but I broke a piece off and licked the part that the animals had not licked.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Snot should be recognized, as well as boogers and loogies.

Licking a salt lick is gross!
I like the smell of Mop & Glow.

Be proud of your goober-ness! I know I'm proud of mine. There are more like us then you might think. They just try and hide it.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

I liked to smell gasoline when I was a kid. Can't think of any other odd ones that I like.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah, I agree. The smell of gasoline has always been a welcome one. Reminds me of when I was a little kid, and my dad would work on the various “dune-buggies” at the ranch.

Oh, and the answer is “YES”. Yes, I have licked a salt block - a yellow one though (I've never seen a blue one). I distinctly remember thinking that it was going to taste like frozen lemonade. I also vividly recall being quite upset when it...well...didn't. Alas...

6:19 PM  
Blogger Müzikdüde said...

Permanent markers. That's my stuff.

9:21 PM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

Love the smell of gas also, uh, er, gasOLINE that is! ;) Love the smell of cigars and pipes as well; also leather! Mmm-hmm. I'm sure I *would* have tried licking the salt-lick if I'd grown up on a farm, as I've always loved salt in general and used to pour it in my hand to lick it out, loved eating rock salt, etc. Still love salt, but now that I know it has that awful tendency to make one retain water, I refrain more often then not. ;)

I agree with Jamie-Dawn: We should all embrace our Inner Goober! :D

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Lucy said...

Found you through - Theater of the Absurd.

As a kid - babydolls. Got a neat one one Christmas, but her arm broke off - she was crippled the rest of her doll life.

Now - i love the smell of fresh cut grass, coffee.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Lis said...

This was JUST the distraction I needed today........omg how funny.
I now find myself wondering if MM meant the regular white LePages or the rubber cement kind in a jar.......cuz that was my personal fav. and made art class so much more FUN!
We used to smear it all over our desks then roll it into little balls and flick it at people. Nasty....kind of the glue version of boogers!
I too found salt licks most lickable, but would break a piece off for my very own.
My fav weird smell combo= boat gas+ fishie smelling warm water+suntan lotion. AHHHH, it reminds me of my youth!

10:47 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Banana popsicles.

And, hey, kid, it is LePage's. But you have to be a lot older than you to know that.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

My brother and I once at a whole bottle of those cherries they put on Sundaes. Man, were we sick for a spell.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I've licked a salt lick. Pretty good, actually.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home