December 22, 2005

How Do I Apologize To Someone I Might Not Ever See Again, Who Would Likely Run From Me If I Did See Him?

Sigh... I need to make amends. I need to apologize. I feel really bad about something and I don't know how to make it right. I scared the poo (literally, I think) out of a stranger, and I feel terrible about it!

See... a little over a year ago, when I was a "runner" or "jogger" - whatever you want to call it... I did a bad thing. And I'd like to make a public apology.

I used to jog at 4:30 a.m. every day. Faithfully. Same time every morning. I live in a quiet neighborhood and for the few years that I did this, I ran into almost no one; on foot, or in a car. Well... there was the paper boy's car. He and I were pretty much on the same schedule, but he only hit me with the newspaper twice in all that time. Pretty shameful if you ask me, I should have been an easier target at my pace. But enough about him, he's not the one I want to apologize to.

One morning I took off for my jog with my big black Labrador retriever. As the streets were always deserted, I never put her on a leash; it was much more enjoyable for both of us that way. She got in about twice as many miles as me since she ran way ahead, then back to me over and over throughout the route. But once again, I'm straying from the point.

On this particular jogging excursion, I ran into two things that I had thus far never encountered. The first being two other leash-free dogs, and the second thing being a fellow jogger. Dogs and runner did not belong to each other, and here's why I know that:

As I rounded a corner with my lab, the two unattended dogs appeared out of nowhere and made a mad dash toward her. She ran in the direction of home. I ran behind the three dogs (way behind, I might add, needlessly) shouting, "Leave her alone" and "Come here, sit!" all in vain. But guess who was headed our way a couple of blocks distant? Another jogger. Perhaps, (who knows?) for his first time out. At least at that hour, as we'd never crossed paths before.

The poor man saw nothing but three very large dogs running toward him. But I saw him literally stop in his tracks, look around in a panic, and I swear he seemed to consider leaping up on top of a parked car. But the two dogs suddenly stopped chasing my pooch. She then ran back to me, scared almost to death. And I watched the man turn and waddle - I repeat - waddle away down a side street.

Now, I would have liked to have had an opportunity to say I'm sorry. In fact I did try, but he was too far away to hear me saying, "Oh, I'm so sorry, sir, they were chasing her!" "Sir? Sir?" or maybe he just chose to ignore me.

19 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

Well - if you're correct in the waddle suspicions - you can bet the poor man didn't want to stop and chat ;o)

And be glad your dog wasn't on a leash, tarmac can scar!

1:20 AM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

Wow, what a story! (Good call Jona!)

I was a runner (more accurately, jogger) back a couple years ago myself... But at 4:30 in the morning???!! Never have been *that* disciplined... I'm impressed!

1:40 AM  
Blogger g said...

I don't think you have to worry now; you have confessed to the wide world of blogs. You have apologized into the ether. It will get back to him.

4:51 AM  
Blogger se7en said...

Bah, I wouldn't worry about him, since he was "waddling" like you said, I suspect he had a couple of pork chops in his pants and was afraid the dogs were gonna take them away!

Yeah, I'm sure that's the case!

8)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Da Gal said...

LOL... oh Ivy. I am sure he has had plenty of time to buy new shorts and that this is all a distant memory for him.

You've said your peace.

I can't imagine running ever... much less at that time of day. You are amazing!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Penny said...

4:30 A.M.?!?!?! You actually RAN at 4:30 a.m.?

Since you no longer have the dog, maybe you can get Jules to take him for a 4:30 a.m. run and try to find that guy ... I'm sure she'd be happy to help you out!

6:52 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

4:30 a.m.? jogging. wow.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lis said...

LOL.
Poor Mr. Waddle, but my real sympathies go out to whoever did the laundry at his house that day!

9:23 AM  
Blogger bubba said...

Merry Christmas.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Huw said...

No apologies needed: you did this waddler a favour by showing him that he wasn't ready for the hardcore pre-5am Texas Jogging Scene.

11:45 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

Ivy that experience may have caused a spiritual awakening to happen in his life. He probably went home and entered into some serious prayer and thanksgiving. :) ec

12:52 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Hey Penny,
The dog has worked WONDERS in meeting men. She goes up to any man around and sticks her nose in his crotch. So I don't have to get up at 4 a.m. Thanks, Ivy. ;)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

OMG! I'm laughing so hard!

I hope he was single. You know, had to do his own laundry?

2:53 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, adds a whole new meaning to "scared the S*** out of him"
Merry Christmas snooks.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I would have peed my pants if three big dogs came heading my way. Poor fellow! I bet he has never jogged since.

Have a marvelous holiday weekend!!
Merry Christmas!!!!!

7:31 PM  
Blogger Müzikdüde said...

Apology accepted, Ivy but I must declare I did NOT poop my pants. I always walk like that.

7:57 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

Waddling, eh? Was he "shakin' a leg" too? lol

8:18 PM  
Blogger poopie said...

Lord girl..if I tried to job at 4AM I'd have to have the dog on a leash to PULL me!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, thank you very much for the sidebar elevation, I didn't realize you were a tech wizard. also thanks for the comment on the heronsnest saga, I can't see any reference to me on the URL that is minus "THE" if you can clarify that I'll have another look, Ta.
Merry Christmas, "phew" that should be the last time I type that for a while.
The Iverson girls looked so cute I put a 3y/o pic. up too.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home