December 20, 2005

Does He Do This on Purpose?

Every morning my cat (Cowboy George) and I crawl out of my bed at the same time. Every morning we have two completely different destinations in mind. Mine is urgent and involves a potty. His destination is the kitchen. We run side by side, bounding for our goals, but then always... and I do mean always there is a point in which we collide. I'm not sure if collide is the correct word, or even the only word to describe this morning event. Because other words like entangle, trip, and squash come to mind. And why is it he can't learn that I will get to his food bowl in a moment? I will not walk out the door without feeding him, but first things, first, Cowboy George! This morning ritual can't be fun for him because sometimes I step on his paw and then he yowls, and I say (as I continue running) "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"

I have some reason to think, though, that he may be doing this on purpose! I mean if you were to see that point in which our paths cross, it's like he's doing some sort of dance under my feet. Like his goal is to trip me up each morning or he can't enjoy the rest of his day. Because he could run to the left, and I run to the right and part ways. And I'd meet him at his bowl after I'm finished using mine. But I'm starting to thing the little guy is doing it on purpose!

20 Comments:

Anonymous Penny said...

There is NOTHING those little critters do that isn't on purpose! They control the universe, I'm tellin' ya! We just haven't accepted it yet.

5:41 AM  
Blogger bubba said...

Yep it is totally under their control. If ya wonder who cleans up after who?

5:48 AM  
Blogger bulletbow said...

Legend has it that man was put on earth to SERVE cats! Was that Plato or Felix who pondered that? By the way... ALL cats know of the legend! ~ jb///

5:59 AM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

HeeHee... Sounds like my kitty as well. He always runs back & forth underfoot yowling as I'm about to feed him... He's now 11 yrs old and you would think by now he'd get that 1, his food is on the way and 2, he may very well get stepped on (and sometimes does, in which case I'm also apologizing and at the same time saying, Dangit, you should know to get out of the way!). Personally, I see it as a neurotic thing, rather than a control thing!

6:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

From one cat owner to another, it's on purpose. I think they quite enjoy the morning show of the human stumbling around. We start the day cussing, they start the day laughing at our expense. Damn cats!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

Male cat?!

;o)

8:21 AM  
Blogger mreddie said...

And I thought the bowl games were not until the end of the year (and the first few days of next) but it seems that they have already started. :) ec

8:56 AM  
Blogger Müzikdüde said...

Who names a cat Cowboy George?????

9:08 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

It's not an accident, but he isn't trying to trip you either. He's trying to HERD you... into the kitchen to get his food. You have, so far, just proven yourself unherdable.

9:28 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

I've almost broken my neck on several occasions trying to get untangled from a cat between my feet. I've got 3 of 'em so it's like every time I walk I have to avoid one. Sheesh. They know what they're doing...and I think me and dogs are outnumbered ;)

12:59 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

yup, my cat does it too.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Whistler71 said...

Ivy, this is on purpose because THEY are the most important "persons" on this earth! As long as I have had cats, they have been doing this to me and they also like to do alot of their talking while I am on the potty. Does this happen to you as well?

4:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

He's got bowl envy. He knows your bowl is more important than his bowl, and it pisses him off.

4:46 PM  
Blogger jules said...

OF COURSE HE DOES IT ON PURPOSE! He thinks now that the ex is gone, HE (THE CAT) will become beneficiary of your will. And if he dies trying, well he DOES have nine lives.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Doug Bagley said...

You bet he is, LOL. It reminds somewhat of camping with my grandparents and their dogs.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meow...

Yes, we do it on purpose, just so you know.

It's revenge for the crap you give us that you call "food". Apparently "Purina" must mean "stale cereal that tastes like fish" in human.

Meow...

Millie Ann Maine Coon Cat Hegstrom

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

millie...

dammit, how many times have i told you to leave the computer alone!

Sorry, Ivy...

Sudiegirl

7:20 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Mary got it right Ivy, he is trying to herd you to his bowl, and Jona, that's a sexist comment, or at least outlook!!!

9:56 PM  
Anonymous TSB said...

Both cats and my dog do this in the morning. They "herd" me down the stairs and yes I have tripped on accassion and landed on my ass. Grrrrrr

5:21 AM  
Anonymous Monique said...

My cat is always under my feet like that. Every time she wants something. Drives me crazy!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home