November 15, 2005

Remembering Quality Time With The Family - Ah, Those Were The Days!

One evening about 11 or 12 years ago the whole family went out to dinner with my in-laws to a lovely Italian restaurant. Being the unfit mother that I am, totally engrossed in the adult conversation I didn't immediately notice what my toddler daughter was doing with her macaroni and cheese. When I did finally look over, I saw that she was putting both hands into her dish and luxuriously spreading the cheese all over her face and up and down each arm. "It's lotion", she explained. I asked her to look around at the other diners and let me know if she saw anyone else applying food to their skin. She paused with elbows lifted and hands part way to her face, scanned the room, shrugged and said "nope", then went right back to her cheese bath.

When the kids were younger, my husband and I would occasionally take them to play tennis at night on a lighted court. One night, (for some dumb reason) when we finished, we decided to walk on a nearby "nature trail" that wound down through the woods. Oh boy, the kids were about to learn that mom is afraid of the dark. My husband and son walked first on the trail to break through all those annoying spider webs. My daughter endured a whole mile of my fingernails gouging into her upper arms as I flung her little body from one side to the other putting it between me and every scary sound I heard. I guess fear is highly contagious because I noticed that she imitated every gasp and stifled scream an instant after mine! Attempting to reassure her, my husband pointed to a sign that read something like "stay on the trail because of the wildlife." He said we were "safe" on the trail. In her most "Ohmigosh, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" voice, she asked, "Well, can the ANIMALS read that sign?"

From the "Wish You Coulda Been There" files:
***
My son (during a driving lesson): "Stop screaming, mother!"
Me: "I always scream when my life flashes before my eyes!"
My son: "Well it makes me nervous!"
***

13 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

I STILL scream when I ride with you, so I know where your son learned to drive!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

For years my mother gripped her seat when I drove her places - now it's the other way around ;o)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, Just love the cheese lotion story and especially her answer, "nope."

7:55 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

My two year old darlin' had a thing for eating all the butter on the table. Not.good.for.the.digestion.

9:06 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

The absolute worst thing about nighttime walks is when you catch a banana slug between your big toe and your flip flops because you are sure it is a snake. But it's always a banana slug, so that's okay.

11:06 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

ROFL! Jules is right. What does mac and cheese lotion have to do with hiking, and either of them with your [lack of] driving [skills]?

;)

11:14 AM  
Blogger No_Newz said...

LOL! Too funny! They give us wrinkles and white hair but man do they ever make us laugh! :)
Lois Lane

11:30 AM  
Blogger Müzikdüde said...

Good thing I wasn't at the restaurant...I know the mac and cheese secret too.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You could probably bottle that cheesy goop and market it as a new wrinkle diminishing cream. You could make millions!
Animals CAN read the signs, but that doesn't mean they will obey them. So.... you were using your little girl as a shield? I'm appalled!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Do you think that maybe your daughter was imitating your gasps and screams because that would be the moment your nails were digging in? :)

Just a thought.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Ash's Dad said...

Kids say the funniest things.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

Funny! A walk in the dark, huh? Not me. I hate spider and snakes and bugs and ....

2:18 PM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

lol! great cheese story and I too hate walking thru the dark and espcially in the country in a wooded area! yikes!!

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home