November 24, 2005

Probably Shoulda Trained For This

We have a family tradition for Thanksgiving, that might seem a little unusual to some folks. Well, it can't be that unusual as approximately 23,000 other Dallas area residents do this with us. We get up early every year on Thankgiving morning and run in the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot. Being our sixth year to participate, you would think that I would have trained for this. Well I did, sort of. Just not in the way that would have prevented me from stiffening up on the ride home and requiring a forklift to get me out of the car. The Trot offers two courses: a 3-mile fun run/walk (which my husband and daughter participate in), and an 8-mile course for serious runners and people who want a little bigger challenge. Oh yeah, and my son and me.

A lot of runners have certain rituals that they do before any race. Some pray, some jog to warm up, some stretch. My son and I have one that is slightly different, but still a ritual. It has become a tradition for me to ask him as many as 14,000 times "Are you sure you wouldn't rather run the 3-mile course this year?" This questioning ritual can begin as early as June. Mitch has his part down, and he never seems to tire of it. His response is always, "Mom, we run the 8-mile course, it's what we do."

Each year is a little different, as far as our performance and running time goes. The first one I was very nervous because I had never run that far in my life, and honestly didn't know if I could. One year, my son got some sort of cramp or knee pain within the first mile or two, (probably beat up from a football game) and we walked a lot of the way. There were a few years that I wanted to set a personal record, and Mitch coached me the whole way, pushing and nagging encouraging me. This year after massive weight gain and (did I mention?) too little training... I was back to being iffy about the distance, and doing a lot of walking.

But here is what remains constant, no matter what the weather, or our physical condition: I enjoy every moment of it. Because there is nothing like having "alone time" with one of your kids. To have that kind of time together, uninterrupted, undistracted, undivided attention is (as the credit card commercials say) PRICELESS. I can envision us some day (not too soon, sweetie, I'm talking years) taking turns pushing my grandbaby in a jogging stroller on Thanksgiving morning.

There were two very important elements missing in this, our sixth year. First and most important was my darling daughter. She had been invited to Thanksgiving in Oklahoma by her best friend. In fact, the first thing Mitch said when we picked him up from his apartment was, "Where's the Rat?" So sweetie, when you read this, you were missed. A lot. Second big thing missing was our annual trip to The Black Eyed Pea for lunch. Lots of reasons, one was that Mitch had a pretty hectic schedule of events to attend with his adorable girlfriend, and Mallory was out of town, and we just didn't want to spend the money.

I wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving, unless you're in another country, then I wish you a very nice and wonderful day.

P.S. Eating out is definitely back on next year, no matter what. I burned my finger pulling the stuffing out of the microwave. Yes, I know it's called STOVE TOP, but screw Martha Stewart and her made from scratch stuff, I took the easy way out.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ms.L said...

LOL
Screw Martha Stewart,hee,you rock!
I love your background,a joy to look at:)

3:58 PM  
Blogger Serra said...

"...but screw Martha Stewart and her made from scratch stuff..."

Hee...wonder how many million times THAT phrase was uttered today?

4:30 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

EIGHT MILES?!! RUNNING????

My admiration knows no bounds.

(I am going to rat you out to Jules: "Jules, she isn't wacko; she's insane.")

6:14 PM  
Blogger jules said...

Hoss, you're telling me there was a QUESTION still left in your mind about that?????

8:05 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Eight miles? For FUN??? Trust me - you are not unfit!

I wholeheartedly agree with the 'priceless' time spent with just one at a time, but I can find it when I'm playing taxi driver ;o)

[Though it's great to hear you enjoyed it!]

10:11 PM  
Blogger ShooShoo said...

Thanksgiving *out*, you say??? Hell, yeah! That's what we did... Truth be told, I'm 35 and have *never* hosted a turkey day celebration! But my all-time favorite stuffing was always the Stove-top cornbread variety my Mom used to make! :) You go, girl (just watch those fingers!)!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hivy, My mind conjures, (it's good at doin' that lately) a different picture, one of your son pushing Mom in a wheel chair/wheelbarrow in the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot, is that too cynical? speaking of which thanks for visiting Cyn.

1:39 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

That's a rather brutal Thanksgiving tradition, but it's pretty cool that you make yourself go out and do that.

3:55 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

Found your blog through Jamie's blog. I do believe I'll be back for more.

Take Care
Michael

6:23 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

"Screw Martha Stewart". You could'nt get me drunk enough, besides is'nt there a UN resolution against cruel and inhumane punishment?

10:57 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Oh yeah, we've got a Turkey Trot here. They close off major roads for it. Sorry, not that motivated.

I do love Thanksgiving dinner, though. I just don't love making some of it. So I buy some things prepared, if it doesn't matter to my family. For instance, this year I bought a premade sweet potato pie and coconut custard pie, and ham that only needed to be warmed up. I made the casseroles, though. Since I was marrying a couple in the afternoon, we couldn't really go all out.

11:49 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

Maybe they'll add the Turkey Teeter-Totter next year...

12:19 PM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

Good for you running even a mile. I can walk forever, but I HATE to run. Just hate it.

LOL on the Stove Top.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Lis said...

The turkey trot.....sounds like a bunch of fun and it certainly beats "three week old left in the oven turkeys!" LOL
BTW loved Wednesdays Lizard post.....ewwwww, nasty critters!
Personally, don't think Stove top can really be imporved upon....no matter what Martha would have us believe. That's because StoveTop really IS 'a good thing' :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I'm proud of you! 8 miles is quite a run... or walk... or crawl. Sounds like a great time!

7:42 AM  
Blogger y-vonne said...

Good for you that you have found a thanksgiving tradition that does not involve high cholesterol counts! Something to counter the attack of the nap after eating!

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home