November 08, 2005

Old Faithful

I was going to write a post on procrastination, but awwww, it can wait. This morning as I stepped out of the shower and reached for a clean towel... I found that I bypassed the new one, and went for one that must be at least ten years old. Then I had to wonder why. Fortunately I have all day to ponder on this. So except for the possibility of missing my morning nap on the way in to work, or the one I sneak in at my desk after lunch, I am not likely to lose any significant amount of sleep over this one.

Although it is true that the brand new, fluffy towel does feel good against my skin... there is something to be said for experience and loyalty. That old towel has dried many a body, big and small in these ten years. And possibly the dog, or a flooded floor. While some may think that is disgusting, I have faith in Tide (or whatever's on sale). Something makes me feel that the new towel is just a bit too frou-frou to do a good job.

Oh no! Does that mean that I am discriminating against soft towels? Am I a towel bigot? Do I think that a pretty, fluffy towel just can't do the job? But if I choose the new towel in the morning, won't that mean that I am tossing aside the old? The one that has proven to me that it is dependable and reliable, if a bit faded. Shoot, now I won't be able to sleep tonight.

14 Comments:

Blogger poopie said...

Lord this is scary..you and I think alike ;)

5:14 AM  
Anonymous TSB said...

Triple that.....good lord, what is wrong with us?

I love my old towels, I have to wash the new ones at least five times to get all the residual fluff off of them before I use them to dry off. You know what I mean, all those little pieces of towel that stick to your skin when you're drying off. Grrrr I hate those.

I told FTS he has to bring the cell phone so I can talk to you and Jules when you guys have the MARGARITAFEST. Hehehehe

5:58 AM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

It seems to me that a new towell doesn't absorb water properly. I think towells have a "middleage" that is the best!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

You buy new towels?! So long as the old one still hangs together...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Old towels have a bit of roughness to them. They make your back feel good as you slide it back and forth behind you, and it takes off any dry skin that may be hanging around on various body parts. You made a good choice.

10:04 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

New towels are no good until they been rode hard and put away wet. Horses, too.

10:17 AM  
Blogger No_Newz said...

Discriminating is such a harsh word. LOL! I also have a really old towel I can't seem to get rid of. And everytime it is clean, it is the first used. It's like a good worn in tee-shirt. :)
Lois Lane

10:27 AM  
Blogger Marti said...

I love this design (gawd I hope you didn't change it months ago and I am the only one who hasn't already complimented it - LOL)

I like old towels too, they just feel better, don't know why.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Huw said...

Drip dry. That's my tip.

11:19 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

Yeesh. I just grab the first towel I see. No risk of discrimination here.

11:24 AM  
Blogger jules said...

You worry about the strangest things little sis.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Yeah Ivy, I think it's safe to say you are a towel bigot.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

New towels tend to shed fuzz, until they have been washed a few times. You could alternate using the old towel and the new towel.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I can honestly say that this is something I have never thought about. Darn it, now I'm going to be second guessing my towel choice tomorrow morning.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home