November 01, 2005

Numbers - 1, Ivy - 0 (I swiped that from Hoss)

I like words. I don't like numbers. I'm still trying to check the math on Peter's post about a cat ranch from a few days ago. I even dislike numbers on the clock. Like this time change, it drives me nuts. I get so crazy thinking, well.. it is now x'oclock, and it used to be y'oclock a few days ago, so YES, that means I can go eat. Or go to bed. Whatever... so I try to pretend like that hour change never happened. Otherwise I will dwell on it for days. It's bad enough that I have to wait for spring for the clock on my VCR, my motorcycle, and the watch to my heart-rate monitor to be right again.

I had a similiar issue in that marathon I did... when I looked at my watch as the gun went off at the starting line, it was off by 5 minutes from the published race time. So for six hours I found myself looking at that stupid watch and trying to calculate what time it really was. Doesn't seem that difficult until you forget which way the 5 minutes goes. So then I had to think, "well if it's this way then it's this time, but if it's that way... sigh. Some of you will never understand (nor will you want to) how my mind works. It's sort of like when a record gets stuck. Remember when the needle just got hung and played the same spot over and over? I do that sometimes when I go to the grocery store. I repeat the items in my head in an attempt to remember what I went in there for, but then find myself three hours later still repeating those items and I'm long gone from the store. But I'm getting sidetracked. The subject was numbers.

Here is something I have been trying to work out in my head since I was 20 years old:

If 7 girlfriends drive 50 miles to spend the weekend at the beach, splitting the cost of a $150.00 a night hotel room, and
one of the girls gets 7 "direct hits" by seagulls in 2 days, and none of the other 6 girls gets pooped on even ONCE, how many…

Oh forget it; word problems have always given me a headache.

15 Comments:

Anonymous TSB said...

I love the new look.

To answer your question: the girl must be you...LOL

Thanks for making me laugh every single day.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi ???, "Some of you will never understand (nor will you want to)how my mind works.
Now that's the under-statement of a.... lifetime

12:21 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

I revel in my detestation of numbers and all things calculatory (I know...that’s not a word, but I kinda like it), but sometimes feel quite incapable and incompetent when my 13-year-old daughter comes to me with algebra questions: "Honey, dad's math-dumb. Ask your brother or Mom."

Language arts, grammar, literature, vocabulary, Spanish...I can handle those!

Cj

3:09 AM  
Blogger bornfool said...

I love the new look.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Ash's Dad said...

You! You're good. You make me laugh and I need that.

6:22 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Dang! I was hoping to be the first to initiate your new template, which is just beautiful. Nice selection, Ivy-kins.

So now, "How many CORDS of wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuch could chuck wood BY THE POUND when the train to Chicago is outbound?" This is the easiest problem they give kids in the fourth grade, so it should be a snap for you.

6:25 AM  
Blogger se7en said...

Now I'm dazed and confused! stop it! I also loathe word problems and I've always found I don't have near enough fingers and toes to figure out if I got ripped on my paychecks!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Hoss, you lost me at "how many?"

8:19 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Love the great new look, Ivy!

9:02 AM  
Blogger The Wrath of Dawn said...

I am also math challenged and calculatory useless. Give me words any day.

Love the new template!

1:42 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

If your VCR is even SET to a time you're already light years ahead of TSB. Hers blinks 12:00.

Three hours in the grocery store is scary. Three hours in ANY store is scary. Your mind is scary. I doubt I will get a word in edgewise with you and Jules at the same table. LOL

Love the new winter look! :)

You have a motorcycle...?

4:07 PM  
Blogger Ali Rossi said...

hi!i'm the girl who you left a comment on who was begging people to write comments! thanks! it made my day.....
actually,i'ts not really my blog, just my friends......i just know her password! thanks again. PLEASE keep commenting!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Damn! what a page. Take a big ol' bow.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

Wow, this is the second day in a row I've been here and you've had a new look. I REALLY like this one a lot!

8:39 PM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

IT LOOKS MAHVELOUS in here! :) Most excellent.

See, I put off changing the clocks until April...and by then it's time to change 'em back anyway...so I never really know what time it is.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home