November 04, 2005

Ehhh? Say Again?

I wonder how many times in life I have misunderstood someone, or have been misunderstood. I'm sure it happens a lot, but I wonder how often I maybe never even realized there was a miscommunication.

Makes me think of that time when I was a teenager buying something from a convenience store, and the clerk told me that I needed a bath. A little hurt and embarrassed, I went into a lengthy explanation about how I was helping my boyfriend paint his car. You know, first there’s the sanding, and then comes the coat of primer. So of course I was a little dirty, but did I smell bad too? She just looked at me like I was a crackpot and repeated (a little louder this time), "You need a BAG?"

Oh and then there was that time that I was in training at my new part-time job as a hotel front-desk clerk. I was carefully following the fields on the computer screen that I needed to ask the guest standing before me. I smiled up at him and said, "your name, please?" He replied, "And you are…" Thinking he was joking with me and wanted to know my name before he would tell me his, I very enthusiastically said, "Ivy! My name is Ivy, nice to meet you!" He had a strange look on his face when he began again to start spelling his last name for me, "N-U-R-K-O-W-S-K-I"
*
P.S. A big thank you to Se7en who made my new template. I've had some very nice compliments and I want to be sure he gets credit! Click on his "Blogs Gone Wild" over on the left side of my page to see all his fancy stuff!

17 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

Hi Ivy-kins, communications are very important, it seems that very selsom do two people hear/say the same thing.
Fancy anyone suggesting you smelled bad.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

You do make me laugh!

12:48 AM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

I came here from Jona's. Communications blunders can be very funny (and sometimes tragic)
My first tought when I got here was "this is coolest template I've ever seen!"

4:12 AM  
Blogger Trucker Bob said...

Good point. An example is my comment here yesterday. By failing to put a smiley face on it I "mis- communicated" my intention, which was to tease you.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Funny stuff Ivy. I have a communication problem with waiters and waitresses. More often than I like to admit, when a waiter or waitress delivers our food and leaves us with “Enjoy your meal,” I reply with, “You too.” Ugghhh!

Cj

5:59 AM  
Blogger se7en said...

I winessed a hilarious conversation at a Radio Shack once, this old guy was talking VERY loudly to the clerk and trying to tell him the battery in his hearing aid was dead and he wanted to buy a new one. The clerk got pissy and told the man he didn't need to yell! LOL I mean the old guy couldn't HEAR what he was saying, hence the loud voice. I don't think the clerk ever caught WHY the man was talking so loud. I just stood there, jaw dropped, shaking my head at the clerks stupidity.

He got my dumbass award for the day!

8)

6:34 AM  
Blogger jules said...

To Trucker Bob:
Never apologize for defending the innocent party. And Yes, Ivy, I STILL claim innocence. At least when compared to you!

8:22 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

And all that time I thought is was selective hearing.

Did you ever hear about there being "no mayonaise in Ireland?"

9:05 AM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

My first time here. First impression: Way cool template! Best I've ever seen, for real.

Then I read down through a bunch of your posts, and they are so funny and good that I forgot about the template.

Good site girl.

9:13 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Why is poor Ivy the butt of all the jokes on this site? I am beginning to think she needs a "there, there."

But, of course, she won't get one from me....

11:12 AM  
Blogger Kelvin said...

Next time, make sure you turn your hearing aid on !!! (Hehe)Kia Ora (Hello) from a krazy blogger down under in New Zealand. You have a great bog - sorry blog !!! I'll be back.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Ishi & Love said...

Congrats... fine turnout of comments and real poeple with real concerns... (Will not list my blog) You visited and give nice advice so back to you from GA blog

Will bookmark and return..

I am sure all the photos in comments are your helpful hands to others...

(yes and I will turn on my word verification like you suggested.)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

What a riot! I hope the guy had a sense of humor about it, because that was hilarious.
Some people are just toooo serious to enjoy life's little faux paus.
Your template is divine.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

I never hear wrong, but I am ALWAYS asking people to repeat themselves to make sure I heard right. I'm a real nuisance like that.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Huw said...

Well, what sort of silly name is Nur anyhow?

7:02 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

OK HUW -- :)
I will correct the post to show his whole name, but if the guy sues me, I will squash you like a bug on a windshield. (just kidding of course)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Serra said...

Se7en does nifty work, don't he? He did my template too :)

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home