November 06, 2005

Driving Miss Daisy Dukes

Have I mentioned how I long for the day when my teenage daughter can drive? I just returned from a butt-numbing six hours in the car to pick her up from her best friend's house in Oklahoma. You know, it never used to bother me to run the kids all around. I knew they depended on me for a ride, and I was happy to do it. But driving her up there on a Friday night and picking her up on Sunday night is wearing me down. One of the problems is the timing. It always seems that I need to leave to get her just about the time that I need a nap, or a stiff drink. Neither one of which are a good mix with driving. We don't do this every weekend, but often enough to generate a few more gray hairs. Sometimes I feel that we're spending good quality time together, which I treasure, I really do! But tonight's ride went something like this:

"Mom, can we please turn the heater on? I'm freezing." I must tell you that she asked this in the very nicest way. Not demanding, not whining, it was a very polite request. However, she has no idea what it's like to be an overweight, middle-aged woman. I didn't have the A/C on, but I surely did not want the heater on. From now on, Stick-Girl must come prepared with blanket, sweater, parka... whatever it takes to keep her warm and keep mom from roasting.

"Mom, we already passed that Sears"
"I know, I'm lost, dammit! I missed my turn somewhere. That does it! From now on I'm going to pick you up before dark! I always get lost after dark!"
"Mom, you always get lost in the daytime, too!"
"I know. But it's easier to see where I'm lost!"

I am leaning forward as far as my seatbelt will allow. I feel that the 6 - 10 inches I've managed to get my face closer to the windshield makes a huge difference in being able to read street signs. Darling daughter alternates between text-messaging the friends she just left and snoozing on the drive home.

As you can tell, we made it back. She, of course walked right back to her room and is sound asleep. I am wound up because driving does not relax me. I need a few minutes more to get the tension out of my body before I can even attempt sleep.
While we're on the subject of my daughter...
How is it that she cannot remember something I have said to her fourteen times - things like, "take out the trash", "put your laundry away", or "will you PLEASE go brush your teeth?" But yet she can remember ONE time, (when distracted by a good television show, a kitchen fire, or one too many glasses of wine) I supposedly agreed to let her get her belly-button pierced.

23 Comments:

Blogger Sirs_Girl said...

How on earth do you drive for SIX HOURS???? My butt gets numb just sitting on a bus for 15 minutes! My mother was also excited about my being able to drive...until she realized my driving means I'll have the car and be out a good portion of the time on roads where other crazy drivers dwell and she can't get to me quickly. I live less than an hour from NYC so that may also add to her fear. Oh, they have massaging butt donuts for long drives to "keep you stimulated." I guess they mean to keep your butt from falling asleep...

11:05 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Like driving Ivy, talking to teenagers after a wine or three is NOT a good idea.
You have the joy of worrying about her when she is driving herself to come yet, it just keeps gettin' better.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Ishi & Love said...

Ivy, you need a vibrating car seat to keep the cramps out. But truly, enjoy it, when they grow up and leave home; you are happy for a few years and then you wish they would call once a month or so.
Been there with the driving, I hate how no matter how far left you put that damm heater switch; some or most of the hot air comes up through the defrost into your face.

GA blog

(Can't miss your blog as it laughs my heart to remember to laugh once and a while)
Ps. This word verif'tion sucks need glasses to see the letters. jtwejxah..with little e's and a's ha ha)

4:28 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

You drove for six hours?!! Flippin'eck, if I have to drive for more than an hour, I'm ready to butcher someone ;o)

Funny, our car heat work the opposite for us - I'm always freezing and the kids can't wait to get out!

5:29 AM  
Anonymous TSB said...

The problem is that once she gets her license there is no way you will feel comfortable letting her do the six hour drive by herself. It's a mom thing.

On the subject of what she hears...they only hear answers to the questions THEY ask....are you daft girl? You haven't learned that yet???????

Have a great day hun!

5:41 AM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

You did no such thing! Belly button infection is a terrible thing to behold; makes an "innie" into an "outie" right away. I maybe don't recommend this procedure. (And don't get lost on the way to the bling store where they pierce belly buttons.)

8:11 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

My daughter is 17 now, and is driving. That comes with its own worries, of course. She was a hideous driver at first, but now she's doing great. I feel your pain!
They listen when what you say is something they want to hear.

8:16 AM  
Blogger poopie said...

It's that selective memory thing they've got going' on ;)

8:23 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

I had a great comment until I saw Ishi's. Omigosh LOL

A vibrating car seat? I would think that could lead to a whole different kind of misshap...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Pat Angello said...

Um, this is not spam. I honestly ran across your site by hitting the "next blog" button. I really like it. Hope you don't mind that I linked to you on my blog.

Have a nice day - hope I can produce some hits for you!

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Simply Coll said...

Ah yes.. I remember similar scenes all too well. But be forwarned.. her driving herself only leads to more stress and worries. It is kind of like when you can hardly wait for your first child to start walking.

1:54 PM  
Blogger jules said...

I like the vibrating seat warmer thing. And it is SO on you're claming not to know me! Watch your back, little sis.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Lindi! said...

Ivy - thanks for your comments on my blog! I liked yours too! I lie awake all the time, and often get up and turn the lights back on so I can jot down something. . . what to get mom for Christmas, or a piece of poetry.

4:50 PM  
Blogger midwest_hick said...

That's quite a drive...but good time for bonding I guess....lol

5:27 PM  
Blogger Tan Lucy Pez said...

The sad news is that I doubt that you'd feel better about her driving that long trip by herself at night. Trust me on this: I've had four kids, all grown now. Still scares me for the females to drive long distances alone at night.

They all have selective hearing. But you can always say about the belly-button piercing: Well, I changed my mind.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

I thought parents feared the day when their children could legally drive.

Stiff drinks are good. Stiff drinks and driving are not good. DWI lands a lot of people in trouble with the law.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Monique said...

When I got my driver's license, my mom started sending me on all her errands. And I was happy to do it, because it meant I got the CAR! But she never would have let me do a 6 hour drive. I was in college before I was allowed to do that!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Maybe she is allergic to metal. I mean, it would be tragic if her belly button fell off because of an allergic reaction, right?

Don't laugh. I'm allergic to metal. Really.

:P

8:52 PM  
Blogger se7en said...

6 hours to a friends house! Holy crap, she needs new friends, like ones that live in the same galaxy, err I mean state. Sheesh! That's too far to go more than once every 6 months!!

8)

8:14 AM  
Blogger aka_monty said...

You were in Oklahoma and you DIDN'T STOP BY????
Oh, that's just wrong. ;)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Ash's Dad said...

All my trips to visit relatives in Oklahoma were numbing. This is where my colorful cousins taught me the proper way to fire off a 'lady finger' (firecracker) was to hold it between your thumb and pointer finger. You definitely feel some numbness from that. Yeah, I know what numb rhymes with!

10:48 AM  
Blogger Queen Rat Mallory said...

Sorry I'm not allergic to metal and it's too late for her to say "never mind" because she already took me to get it done...and since then i've ALSO gotten my noise peirced! Thanks mom.

11:37 AM  
Blogger y-vonne said...

I can SOOOO relate: http://myfourboys.blogspot.com//

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home