November 10, 2005

Don't Laugh, It'll Only Encourage Me

My mother never appreciated my sense of humor and adventure when I was little. In fact, she used to tell people, "Don’t laugh, it'll only encourage her!" As a small child, I considered myself to be a comic genius – the problem was that I was the only one who thought so. Like the time when I was little and our family was having dinner at my parents’ friends’ house. I couldn't wait for the meal to be over so I could tell the hostess, "That was awful… good!" My timing needed work. I guess the pause for humorous effect after the word "awful" was either a bit too long, or else my mother's reaction time too swift as I was yanked out of my chair and paddled before I could get out the word "good".
Then there was the time that I was presented with a bunch of packages of those colored tights we all wore as little girls. I always loved to think of them as panty hose. I was about first or second grade, was in my room and was amused at how small they look brand new before being worn for the first time. My mother had a friend over chatting in the kitchen and I thought I'd interrupt and share my humorous observation with them. You know, give them a good little laugh. So I held up the tiny looking hose from the waist band and dangled them around and said, "ummm, mom, these are too small". She just didn't get it. She grabbed that pair and all the other packages and handed them over to her friend and said, "Here, give these to Mandy, they'll fit her."

Don't believe moms can ruin a good punch-line, or stifle a great invention? Check out Lois' guest post for further proof in her "masterpiss".


And remember, don't laugh. It will only encourage me.

10 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

Somewhere Lois has an older sibling shaking their head and going "Geeze mom and dad, WHAT were you thinking having this one?"
I need their number so we can do it together.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Ivy, you must have been a barrel of laughs to have around when you was little.
Must admit you're pretty funny now though.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

I AM laughing, and I don't care if I'm ignoring your mother's advice about encouraging you! (but I might not be invitng you to dinner ;o))

8:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

LOL! funny stuff, ivy!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

You were just trying to be funny. Poor girl, getting paddled and being so misunderstood.
I'm laughing!!

10:53 AM  
Blogger FTS said...

I'm beginning to have some serious concerns about Margaritafest...

11:02 AM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:12 PM  
Blogger MarkD60 said...

You might be the only one who'd like my jokes!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous TSB said...

I think you should take some tights with you to Margaritafest....

5:54 AM  
Blogger Da Gal said...

OKay, if I continue reading you and your sisters blogs I will need to purchase stock in freaking depends. You are both cracking my ass up and making me laugh out loud. Perhaps I need some light hearted entries in my blog because your writing is quite frankly inspiring and reminds me of so many stories I have to tell that make me split my own damn pants.
And I love your background to boot. Wish I knew how to do something fancy like that.
Thanks for a fabulous blog!

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home