October 28, 2005

You Should See Uranus - It's So Cute!

I know I'm posting a lot these days. I'm reminded of that tee-shirt my daughter used to wear that said, "Help! I'm Talking and I Can't Shut Up!" But there will soon come a day when I can't think of anything to post... and things will all just even out, you know?

Traditionally in our family my husband has always driven the "you-know-what" out of his automobile and then he would buy a new one and I would inherit the clunker. Well not this year. Things were a little different! Things were bound to change, you know... because Super Heroes don't drive the Crap Mobile!

One day this past spring I left the house with my daughter in search of a brush. A round hairbrush that my stylist said was on sale at Sally's Beauty Supply, and would solve all my bad hair days. (I've used it only twice, by the way... turns out a hair dryer and some skill is also required) Anyway, on the way home from buying this hairbrush, we took a detour and bought a car. My husband was astonished (and a little ticked off) when we got home. He lectured me about how impulsive that was, and that’s NOT the way you buy a car. You research, shop around, and bargain with the salesperson, etc... He was worried what kind of example I was setting for our daughter. I told him that while it was true that we pulled into the lot and bought the very first car we saw, we had done a very important test drive. I reassured him that we got in the car, opened the sunroof, and checked to see if we looked sexy in it. We did, so we bought it!

A funny thing happened to that car after I signed all the papers. It shrunk. Just like the clothes in my closet have been doing lately. This little car is really difficult to get in and out of. I certainly don’t remember experiencing this during our test-drive.

My tiny new car is a Saturn, but my friends and I have affectionately (juvenilely?) nicknamed it Uranus simply because that’s a much more fun word to substitute whenever speaking about it. Try it; you’ll see what I mean. For example, I can tell my daughter, "Let's take Uranus up to the car wash." Or I can request that she, "Get the groceries out of Uranus." Ahhh… this brings back memories of the fourth grade. Sometimes it can be so much fun to be a goober.

5 Comments:

Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

That would be funny if Uranus was pronounced like yur-A'-nus. It is pronounced yur'-uh-nus. So it isn't funny.

Yes it is.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Ivy the Goober said...

Rats. Would it be funny if I put some longhorns on the hood of Uranus? I am in Texas, after all.

6:38 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

Hey! You stole my 'longhorns on the hood' thing! :p

Oh, and it's DEVIOUS goober according to Jules...

8:57 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Good to see your back, (is that uranus) I haven't got to the shrinking car stage yet, but sure as hell need to stop buying those shrinking clothes.
wv= jzeoq, sounds sorta eloquent!!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Karlos said...

Hoss....you almost had me. I was already devising ways to correct (and make funny) all those old, cheesy Uranus jokes!

Cj

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home