October 30, 2005

Friendships

These are true, and heart-worming warming stories of some very special friends of mine. Tales of people who have shown their strength, amazing feats, inspiration, and bravery. I just get choked up remembering these moments. If you don't have a box of tissues nearby, I would highly recommend you go fetch one before you read on.

I couldn't sleep last night because I was thinking about how friends can give you a helping hand, and how that may sound corny or sappy, but it's so true! Where would I be now if not for the helping hands of my friends who pulled my body the rest of the way into a moving cab? Three of us were on a business trip and my two friends got into the back seat of the taxi first, and slid over. I got one foot and one butt cheek in when the driver pulled away from the curb and out into traffic. Fortunately my friends pulled me in to safety. The driver heard the door shut about a block away and she turned around and said, "Oh! I didn't realize there were three of you!" Thank you, dears. You may have saved my life! (or at the very least some road rash and a $6 pair of pantyhose)

I was standing around at the gym before a workout chatting with two of my buddies and a pesky fly kept buzzing around us. (Well, come to think of it, maybe it was after the workout.) Oh well, the point is that my friend who was speaking just casually un-crossed her arms, reached out with one hand and snatched this fly out of the air. She coolly brushed its lifeless body off with the other hand without so much as a pause in her story, the slightest hesitation, or even a loss of eye contact. Just went right on talking like it was no big deal! How cool is she? My other friend and I looked at each other, mouths hanging open. If I had done something so spectacular, I can guarantee you that I would have yelled out to everyone, "Hey did you see that?" Or at the very least screamed "Ewww!" at the bug guts on my hand. Thanks, dearie, for showing me that conversations between friends are important and should not be interrupted. You amaze me.

One day during a break at work, two of my friends were describing their "so-called" dirty houses. "I haven't vacuumed since that last homeowners' association meeting that was at my house!" said one. "Well I had to do a whirlwind dusting job the other day before you two came over!" said the other. Listening to them inspired me; on my next day off, I dusted my vacuum cleaner! Thanks, dears, for inspiring me to grow and improve my life in so many ways!

A long-time dream of mine finally came true last year. I got to visit New York City! I learned some very valuable lessons on that exciting adventure: If you are going to starve yourself for three weeks before a big trip so you can get into your skinniest pants, don't pack JUST your skinny clothes. If you eat like I normally do, you should throw in some elastic-waist pants and maybe a maternity top, or two for later in the week. And although it is perfectly reasonable to want to try things like New York cheesecake, pizza, and bagels while you're in that city, it is not necessary to sample some of each every three or four blocks. And finally, if you are going to walk down Broadway at midnight gaping open-mouthed at Times Square, blissfully unaware of imminent danger - it's nice to have a street-savvy size 4 girlfriend alongside (armed with only a travel umbrella and an attitude) to fend off the mugger. Thanks, dear, I really owe you. Not only did you save that knockoff Louis Vuitton handbag, but quite possibly my life!

8 Comments:

Blogger aka_monty said...

Thanks so much for coming by my place! I love getting new commenters because it gives me a chance to meet someone new.
I'm lovin' it over here! :)

12:09 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

That's what friends are for!! Sounds like that size 4 friend of yours is a good person to have around in a tough crowd. :)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi ????, yeah but can she grab that fly with chop-sticks Grasshopper?

1:38 PM  
Blogger OldHorsetailSnake said...

Much richness here, Ivy. Needed no tissues for face, just for spittle on screen.

3:07 PM  
Blogger FTS said...

Life is just one big adventure for you, isn't it? If you're not a Sagittarean, you should have been. :p

3:59 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

LOL!

Thank you for sharing your great stories!
I added you to my blogroll!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Wonderful stories, wonderful friends!

3:26 AM  
Anonymous TSB said...

You make me laugh util I cry. I am such a space case sometimes, that most of my friends just look at me in awe and would doubtfully even try to save me...LOL

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home